Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can you study abroad in two different places during college?

For example, could I study for a semester at Ireland and another semester in Ghana. Anyone in college who knows this answer?

Can you study abroad in two different places during college?
It all depends on what school you're at and what the options are for your international program. I spent a year in London and a summer in Florence when I was in college. It's definitely possible, the key is to look into which of your required classes (for your major, or GEs) are offered internationally during the semesters you want to go abroad, and then make sure you save those so you have something to study when you're there.
Reply:Yes, this is possible, but there are many factors involved. You probably shouldn't try it if you're double-majoring or have a longer major like music or engineering. Also, your college will have rules regarding study abroad programmes, such as how many you can take and what sort of grades you need to be maintaining in order to study abroad.





If you'd like an example, when I was in college I did three study abroad programmes. I was able to do this because I was an Asian Studies major, which was relatively short to complete. My first study abroad was a school-organised "asian term", and all the classes taken during this time contributed to my major. My second was a summer language programme which didn't contribute credits, but also didn't interfere with my other requirements because it took place when school wasn't in session. My third was a study abroad term in New Zealand arranged by a third party programme, which I was able to take because I had already completed the necessary credits for my major and only needed general education. So, yes, if circumstances work out, this sort of jet-setting is possible! Be sure to do lots of research before you get to college if this is something you want to do - anyone in the admissions office should be able to direct you do someone who can answer all of your questions about study abroad opportunities and requirements.


No comments:

Post a Comment