Thursday, November 19, 2009

Can university athletes study abroad? I'm an athlete at a D-3 university. How does this work?

I'm going to be a junior next year, but I'm on the volleyball team here. We are, as I already mentioned, a D-3 school. What is the policy for studying abroad if you are an athlete. I'd like to go to England for an Academic year, but I fear that I may not be allowed to. Any info would be great. Thanks. I'm at an American university by the way.

Can university athletes study abroad? I'm an athlete at a D-3 university. How does this work?
Yes, D-3 athletes can study abroad. Your coach may discourage you from going, but you can go. I ran CC at a D-3 university, my roommate was on the football team and he studied abroad not once, but twice. He was out of the USA for 1 year program and a semester program. In total he missed only one season. He choose to stay in school an extra year, even though he had the credits to graduate in four years. I recall him complaining that after missing a season he had to re-earn his starting spot, but I think that is to be expected. He also had to work out while abroad, which at times presented the challenge of staying motivated.





In short, yes can study abroad. Talk with your coach before going let him/her know you will go and that upon your return you would like to rejoin the team. Hopefully the coach will be supportive of your desire to study abroad. If not you then you may be faced with a tough decision: going abroad or staying and playing volleyball. In the end, the choice, of course, is yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment