Monday, November 16, 2009

What happens if you study abroad for one year and then end up wanting to stay? Can you transfer?

I go to college in New York and I'm studying abroad in Germany for a year. The thing is though, recently my parents moved to Germany for a 2 year work assignment and I've been in Germany for all my breaks and I really like it. I have a feeling that I'm going to want to end up staying in Germany rather than going back to school in the U.S. Would it be hard for me to transfer to the German University since I'm a U.S. citizen?

What happens if you study abroad for one year and then end up wanting to stay? Can you transfer?
If the program you're on is through your university, you can extend your stay until you graduate. Because being in Germany is considered being at your home university, you can stay until you graduate. However, if you decide to stay forever, make sure the school is on the FAFSA list, that way you can still get loans. If your study abroad program is not through your school, you can not graduate without taking some of your courses at your home university. In most schools, you cannot transfer more than a certain # of credits. So you have to ask your adviser before you decide on anything. If you want to be accpeted into the school you're in in Germany, you have to APPLY as a student to the univerity. This means that you need to transfer your grades and recommendations and wait till you get accepted into the school. You can also ask your study abroad office at your home university and your Germany office to get more information about this.


No comments:

Post a Comment